What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Dekana
Veteran

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Dekana » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:19 pm

Pulled some girls out of storage and started painting.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:01 am

@TOD- you are are a machine! You got that contrast paint down to a reflex almost. I've never used them or worked with any figures newer than.....Skitarii Rangers....I think. In your opinion is the sculpting and detailing on the new figures done with contrast techniques in mind?

And whereas TOD is chruning them out, I'm spending weeks sculpting my own...... here is the latest. I have had very little mojo lately, so I forced myself to start fleshing these out. Still in the rough "sketch" stage. I've done some work on them since I took the pictures. The tripod monster has been cut in half at the waist to aid in sculpting and I smoothed out and added to the robes on the vulture guy. I'm trying to get them looking more "alien" than your usual critter. The vulture has an extra elbow and the tripod monster is really fun. With the extra elbows and tri-lateral symmetry, it's going to change how they hold things, so handles on weapons and gear are going to be different.

teeth need more work.....

...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:10 am

Konrad wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:01 am
@TOD- you are are a machine! You got that contrast paint down to a reflex almost. I've never used them or worked with any figures newer than.....Skitarii Rangers....I think. In your opinion is the sculpting and detailing on the new figures done with contrast techniques in mind?
The plague marines are still about 95% traditional paints actually! But I'd probably say Contrast paints are designed with the crisp details modern minis are sculpted with in mind, rather than the other way around. I'd hesitate to use them on some blobby sculpt from the 80's.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2020:
AoS-iverse: 129 infantry
40K-iverse: 93 infantry, 2 vehicles, a whole mess of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 1 Titan

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:02 am

@Miguelsan & Dekana - Good to see you guys are doing ok and still painting/hobbying.

@ToD - No new stuff until your old stuff is finished? Your level of willpower is amazing. Nice work on the Plague Marines.

@Konrad - Non-humanoid gribblies are something this hobby needs more of.

I've been busy at the ol' plastic pile of shame myself this past week. I should have some photos to post this evening after I get home from work.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

Jye Nicolson
Veteran

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:01 am

I haven't been hobbying enough but I have had sufficient meetings, D&D sessions and importantly motivation from an upcoming power sword buff to finish these Zephyrim.

The leader's banner needs the detail picked out in gold to be "finished" but I might too hard basket it for now.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:37 am

@Jye - Nice work. The banner can wait until you feel up to it.

I finished off a bunch of Dwarves.
The king and his standard bearers.
Some elite heavy infantry.
And all of them together.

Speaking of banners, you may notice a lack of them on the minis above. Sadly my printer is out of ink, so the banners are on hold until I can get some.

Dekana
Veteran

Post by Dekana » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:00 pm

@Primarch: Thanks, good to be back!

Tonight I finished up the batch of 10 basic guardswomen I started yesterday.
Next I think I'd like to get started on basing my army. Getting a little tired of the primed grey bases!

I think my original plan was to dilute some elmer's glue with water, plaster it on the bases, pour on sand, and then glue on some tufts of grass.
This is a first for me, so I'll have to do a few tests runs to find a style I like (and make sure it fits the army).

You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:56 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:10 am
Konrad wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:01 am
The plague marines are still about 95% traditional paints actually! But I'd probably say Contrast paints are designed with the crisp details modern minis are sculpted with in mind, rather than the other way around. I'd hesitate to use them on some blobby sculpt from the 80's.
Really? I must have taken the final wash/dip, for contrast. So now that GW paints are all contrast/shade/base/layer/highlight/sparkle/..... what counts as regular old paint? :)
@Miguel- kit-bashing one of those big-stompy robots into a grim-dark,Blanchitsu, tower of gothic madness is one of my dream projects. Go nuts.
@Dekana- great to see the girls back in action. Glue,sand,grass, repeat, that's how it's done. Nothing fancy.
@Prim-by my grandfather's beard, those are nice. Who makes them?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:11 am

@Konrad - They're Oathmark Dwarf Heavy Infantry made by Northstar, the guys who do the figures for Frostgrave. The King is a metal mini by the same company. I built/painted some of the light infantry a while ago.
http://www.nagoyahammer.com/forum/viewt ... ves#p60101

@Dekana - You don't need to thin the elmer's glue much or it won't hold the sand down well. I'd recommend painting it to seal it and help it adhere. I've had cases where sand has been knocked off a base or even peeled off entirely before. If you have a shop nearby that stocks Vallejo, their Rough Grey Pumice is a great alternative to sand. It adheres well and dries fairly quickly.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:49 am

Alternatively, thin glue -> sand -> another coat of thin glue is usually enough to keep sand in place - just paint usually won't do it. But yeah, there are lots of brands of pre-made earth texture. If you look in the model railroad section of Yodobashi or what have you, the ubiquitous Mr. Hobby line has weathering paste as well.

The new sexy is apparently to make your own paste out of glue and (dried) used coffee grounds, tinted with whatever paint you like, but it seems a lot of work to me.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2020:
AoS-iverse: 129 infantry
40K-iverse: 93 infantry, 2 vehicles, a whole mess of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 1 Titan

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”