Golden Demon Nippon — Photo Thread

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Tenorikuma
Champion

Golden Demon Nippon — Photo Thread

Post by Tenorikuma » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:45 am

I've put some of my best photos from yesterday's Japanese Golden Demon event in this thread along with descriptions. If you want to see more of anything in particular, let me know.

Click any image for a larger version.

1. 1st Place, 40K Single Miniatures
Excellent non-metallic metals and stunning freehand on the cape.

Hugo's entry placed 3rd:

2. 1st Place, 40K Squad
This was probably my personal favourite. The miniatures are all very well-painted, and the hand-painted detail on the banner is amazing.

3. 1st Place 40K Large Miniature / Sword Slayer winner

This one was fantastic to see in person. The modeller was a German painter, first name Christoph but I missed his last name. He also won the Slayer Sword, but a legal technicality prevented GW from being allowed to import the sword into Japan from Britain. Instead, he gets his name engraved on the sword, and it can either stay in the GW museum in Nottingham where he is free to visit and hold it any time, or he can have it shipped to an address outside of Japan.

Note the flies on the streetlamp and the Tau's shoulder.

4. 1st Place, 40K Vehicle

Hugo took gold with his highly customized Storm Eagle.

5. 1st Place, Warhammer Miniature

I don't seem to have any good photos of this one, but to be honest, I'm not sure they selected the best model.

6. 1st Place, Warhammer Regiment

This entry was nicely based and presented.

Here was my second-place entry:

One thing that I think hurt me was the lack of a nicer base, due to lack of time.

7. 1st Place, Warhammer Large Miniature

Beautiful dragon.

8. 1st Place, Battle Scene (Diorama)

This category and duel had few entries and would provide an excellent chance at a Golden Demon next year.

The winning diorama was a little lacking in technical finish but was very nice to look at and used some impressive object-source lighting.

2nd Place:

9. 1st Place, Duel

Can't find any decent photos at the moment, will look later.

10. 1st Place, Open Category

Unfortunately, I didn't get any good photos of the entire model, but this was extremely well-done and impressive to look at. Being in the Open Category, though, it wasn't a contender for the Slayer Sword.

There were no Lord of the Rings entries. That's not entirely surprising, I guess — very few, if any, gamers in Japan seem to be into the LOTR game. But clearly there's some opportunity there for next year.

Other stuff:

The Armies on Parade event didn't really go off as planned. Only one of the armies showed up — a very nice Tomb Kings army — but it sounds like they intend to promote it more next year.

There was also a championship Warhammer Fantasy game between two Japanese players, and a 45-minute conversion contest where you had to make something from a pile of 40K and Warhammer sprues. Hugo managed to snag first place out of dozens of entries with some kind of wolf chariot ridden by an ork.

Photos from the game:

A few other photos:

@MIJ: You would have loved it, buddy. Next year if you enter you'll be a serious contender for a Golden Demon, I'm sure.

@Everyone: Thanks for all the encouragement and feedback in my work-in-progress threads!
Last edited by Tenorikuma on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:15 am, edited 6 times in total.

Spevna

Re: Golden Demon Nippon — Photo Thread

Post by Spevna » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:12 am

Cheers for the photos mate.

The 1st Place 40K Single Miniature is really nice, especially the detail inside the cloak.

I love the colour scheme on your elves. Very muted and atmospheric.

Im not a big fan of drybrushing but on the 1st Place, 40K Squad's armour it kind of works well with the way the helmets are done and gives a good contrast.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:07 am

Great pictures and minis. Thanks for posting these.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks heaps for the photos, Ten :) I'm mondo busy today (leaving for Japan tomorrow) but I'll comment more once I'm back :)

Btw, I linked to this page on CMoN - hope that's ok. I just figure the more exposure the contest gets, the better :)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/sho ... post666172
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:21 am

Hey! Congrats. 2nd place is that sort of competition is pretty impressive. Nice stuff. The Templar Marshall was pretty amazing.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:30 am

Well done on the silver Canada can be proud of you guys.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:07 am

That is some really nice white on those Ultramarines Dread and scouts. I really do like the mostly-white color scheme you sometimes see people do with them.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 33 Infantry
Adeptus Titanicus: 4 Titans

Ichibanpainting
Rookie

Post by Ichibanpainting » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:12 pm

It was a nice event! I do have more pics so as soon as I have a minute ill post them here!
But for now I have pics of the storm eagle on my flicker page and here is the C'MON link
http://www.coolminiornot.com/312309

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Glorious stuff. The Ultramarine squad may really take the cake, but I was also amazed by Hugo's work on his Stormtalon. Congrats to him on his entrees.

I also you did very well winning second. Congrats! (I like your technique and style more than the Empire-painter's style. You meld your colors better to my eyes.)
Models Painted, 2019
32 28mm miniature
1 walker

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks for the pics and congrats again Tenorikuma!! :D

I have to agree with Job, in that your wood elves were much more attractive to my eye. Perhaps it was just the lack of a base as you said?

Congrats to Hugo, too!!! Some awesome stuff! :D

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”