Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:12 am

I saw an interesting video on youtube just now about Brawlidays. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the matter. Basically, the suggestion is that Brawlidays is WotC testing the waters regarding monetization of formats. If a lot of people play it, they'll do it more. Essentially, 10k gold to enter an event with what appears to be limited prizes is paying them for permission to use the cards that you also paid them to obtain. Like, if GW charged you entry to their stores or something. As such, the youtube dude suggested that actively not joining the Brawlidays event will send the message that customers will not be taken advantage of, and eventually WotC will just open up Brawl for general usage instead of throttling access as they do now.

What do you reckon? I actually find Brawl to be the most enjoyable format, but I can defo see the financial motivation behind the Brawliday event (also, they're looking to drain people's gold before Theros drops, which encourages people to pay more for Theros packs). I'm increasingly inclined to stay away. It bugs the crap out of me when companies strongarm cash out of customers like that.
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:06 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:12 am
Brawlidays is WotC testing the waters regarding monetization of formats. If a lot of people play it, they'll do it more. Essentially, 10k gold to enter an event with what appears to be limited prizes is paying them for permission to use the cards that you also paid them to obtain.
This is kind of my view about it too. A lot of events already are behind paywalls, so I don't think WotC are unsure about charging for access in general. Because Brawl is a Singleton-esque format, players don't need to expend many resources to enter it, unlike a Tier 1 netdeck, so I think there is also an element of keeping the economy circulating as well.

As much as I enjoy Brawl, I don't want to pay to enter it as I would then feel obliged to play it for the entire period. I'm fairly content playing a mix of Standard, Brawl and Draft. Historic Bo1 doesn't reward daily wins, (plus I have only a few cards for the format), so I don't play it as much as I otherwise would.

I'm looking forward to Dominaria Draft and Theros next month, so I'll hang on to my Gold/Gems and just play Brawl on Wednesday if it's still free to access.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Have you tried the Game Awards After Party event? I went 3-3 with the Elspeth deck. It was fun to play a Black Lotus :o , even if it was just a digital version :D .

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Yeah - at first I tried ashiok (being of a naturally Dimiri inclination) but the queue went on and on and on - nearly a minute and a half, at which point I gave up. Tried again a good few times, same result. Then I tried Elspeth - bing! Opponent found in seconds. Evidently everybody and their dog is playing Ashiok, so there’s no Elspeth opponents :lol: :lol:

But aye - once I worked that out it was fine. And dayum if it didn’t give a whole new meaning to “this card is busted”. Puts Oko in context, certainly. I think my worst was T1 land, mox opal, mindstone, into a T2 Leonine warleader. :shock:
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:42 pm

W00t! W00t! W00t W00ty-w00ty-w00t-woot!

EXCITEMENT!

Historic, duder - it's the way forward :D
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:02 pm

Well done.
Historic Bo3 may be the way forward for you, what with all of your historic cards. I prefer Bo1 games and don't have many pre-rotation cards, so it's a bit harder for me. Oh, and a win rate of about 45%. That won't get me out of Gold rank.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:39 am

cheers :)

Apologies for the unseemly enthusiasm - I was just excited as I've been soooo close a few times in the past week or so then gotten clubbed with 4 or 5 losses in a row and gone back down again. Also, it was dang late and my self control tends to slip when I'm knackered :lol:

Fwiw, my deck looks like this:

Deck
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
3 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
3 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Plains (ELD) 250
1 Swamp (ELD) 258
3 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) 207
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
2 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
1 Finale of Glory (WAR) 12
1 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Absorb (RNA) 151
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
4 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
2 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
1 Mortify (RNA) 192
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
1 Drown in the Loch (ELD) 188
2 Cast Down (DAR) 81

Sideboard
1 Aether Gust (M20) 42
2 Duress (M19) 94
1 Devout Decree (M20) 13
3 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
1 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
3 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
2 Gadwick, the Wizened (ELD) 48

Now I look at it, that is a hella lot of rares/mythics. Also quite a lot of historic (underlined) cards. Hmmn. I can see how that'd be a bugger to gather up. It's also very clear that the mana base is what needs to be worked on above all else when collecting rares for historic (assuming you're playing multiple colours.)
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:03 am

Well, I think we both know how I feel about a deck like that. :lol:
So congratulations again on reaching the heady heights of Diamond. It must take a lot of patience to grind through those win 1, lose 1 periods.
As for myself I think I'm limping around in Silver at the moment. :?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:07 am

In not really Arena based, but maybe MtG adjacent news, I have spent the New Year playing the Pokemon TCG with my nephews. They were pretty surprised that I knew the rules (admittedly from the 1st edition of the game). They were even more surprised when I won 2 of my 3 games.
It was pretty fun, even though I couldn't actually read all the cards or figure out what some of them did. As far as I was aware, there were only 150 Pokemon, 151 if Mewtwo was included, but now there are all sorts of GX, Tag Team, Legendary things which I have never heard of.

... But do I really need another card game? :lol:

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:47 am

:lol: Pokemon tcg is actually pretty good practice for the ol’ japanese skills. My eldest started off a couple years ago on the pokecards before graduating to MtG more recently, and we still bust them out from time to time. It’s a pretty fun game. And yeah, there are a lot more Pokemon now than 150... :shock:
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”