Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by Primarch » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Yep, Leyline of Sanctity is going to shut down a lot of one-trick pony decks.

Quick RAW question, does Hexproof work against cards that say "All opponents..." rather than "Target opponent..."?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 am

Nope. Hexproof means “may not be the target of spells or abilities opponents control.”

Same goes for hexproof vs “destroy all creatures”. Kaya’s Wrath will kill a Carnage Tyrant (and a good thing, too!)

An example of a card that’ll affect you even if you have hexproof is Disinformation Campaign.
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:42 am

Just as a side comment: man, I dread what will happen if mij ever gets this deep into Shadespire deckcrafting.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 50 Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:58 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:42 am
Just as a side comment: man, I dread what will happen if mij ever gets this deep into Shadespire deckcrafting.
Carnage, mate. Unadulterated carnage, is what would happen. Rains of frogs, earth splitting asunder, lambs lying with wolves, the whole shebang.

Nah, MtG is kinda designed to be played in a winning-is-the-point kinda way. The complexities of building a competitive deck and knowing the meta is absolutely intriguing for me, but only because Arena provides the opportunity for a semi-infinitely large meta (rather than a small local group with limited playstyles/card pools.) Shadespire, and mini gaming for me in general, is much more about the social/artistic aspect of things. Story telling and whatnot, too, of course.

So no need to worry about me going all WAACy.

not at the mo, anyway :twisted: :lol:
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Yeah, if there is an infinite attack loop in Shadespire, M_i_J'll find it. :lol:

Last night I went 4-3 in the M20 Sealed event. My 4th win was down to the wire. I had no cards left in my deck and an empty hand and just enough flyers to cause just enough damage to win. Luckily my opponent had nothing in hand to block me. It would have been a different story if he had played Shock or some other equally innocuous card.
I also had another try at Ranked with my Feather deck. I won a few, but during my last game of the evening I got hit by Settle The Wreckage and my creatures all got wiped. "No problem," thinks I, "I now have enough mana to cast anything I draw". I then proceed to draw nothing but land for the next six turns while my opponent drops mythic rare PWs and still keeps a full hand. I don't know if it was the random reshuffle after StW that did it or what, but I doubt anyone who has been on the receiving end of that card has ever thought "You know what I need now? More land!" :(

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 am

ah, the ol' settle the wreckage. I've been destroyed by that card so many times I now pretty much never, ever attack into any white player with 4 open mana. I've actually caught myself hesitating to do that even when they have no cards in hand :lol: Conversely, when I play white (which is rarely), I do so love keeping 4 mana open whenever possible, just to psych out the opponent :lol:

As for the land flooding, yeah - that sucks. Conversely, I had a game yesterday night when I drew 2 land the whole fricking game. He was on 9 mana at one point and I had 2, a llanowar elf and that hexproof druid thing. The two dorks were the only way I could cast anything, and eventually he took em out and left me utterly screwed. Razzin frazzin RNGeezus... :(

incidentally, 4-3 is pretty damn good. I'd be happy with that. I'm still sour about the Mastery pass, though. I'll probably play some Sealed soon, though. Did you save up gems from drafting already? If so, that's pretty good going. Took me ages to get my first 2000gems (but then, I suck at draft, so...)
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:48 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 am
incidentally, 4-3 is pretty damn good. I'd be happy with that. I'm still sour about the Mastery pass, though. I'll probably play some Sealed soon, though. Did you save up gems from drafting already? If so, that's pretty good going. Took me ages to get my first 2000gems (but then, I suck at draft, so...)
I have played nearly every day since I joined for at least wins a day, plus quests. All of that gold has been funneled into drafts and the gems have been building up steadily. (Plus I had some from the initial intro pack). The sealed event cost me 2000, but I got 1600 back, so I'm doing ok for now. I should have enough gold for another draft at some stage over the weekend.

I intend to wait a bit and see how I get on before buying the battle pass. Mainly because I don't have quite enough gems yet and also because I am liable to get distracted by something new and completely give up playing. :lol:

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:49 am

Sounds like you're playing very efficiently. Good stuff.

Out of interest, have you been having any issues with the game since the M20 update? Mine is all messed up. For example: Start time for the game has gone from a 5second or so load time to 30secs or so, with frequent failures to connect to the server at all. In most games it stutters and lags something awful - Cards go from my hand onto the table with no in-between animation visible, and opponents go from their draw step straight to all their stuff being tapped and attacking, with resolved spells already in the graveyard that I didnt even see being played (assuming I couldnt have interacted with the spell anyway.) In game, one of my Sealed matches froze completely - I had just played a card, and it sat there in space doing nothing, not going onto the field or anything. Couldn't cancel the action, couldn't play. The board seemed to be behaving (I could click on cards, etc) but the game would not proceed. No rope appeared, game just sat there for 10 mins until I shut it down via task manager. When I logged back in, it counted it as a loss, which irks me, since it was a Sealed event game. And the final annoyance, Sparky is broken! She got stuck in an infinite loop just saying "Hmmmn" repeatedly, for a ridiculous length of time. I eventually conceded.

So yeah - the M20 update is not playing nice on my PC at all. How about you? Any wierdness?
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:01 am

I updated on Wednesday evening and had Sparky pop up to greet me and then sit in the middle of the screen for the rest of the evening. Yesterday I had a little lag in one game, but after that it was all ok.
I know the update didn't go smoothly for a lot of people, so some of the more technically minded users put some work-arounds up online to fix it. This then caused more problems when WotC put out the working version of the update as the work-arounds removed vital pieces of data.
Have you checked the forums for any known technical issues?

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 am

I had a look, and saw some folks with the same problems, but no advice as to how to proceed. I'm hoping they'll roll out a patch sooner rather than later, as it does seem to be an ongoing thing that was triggered by the update. Meh, it's a beta, so I'll let em get on with it for now. Still bothered by the lost Sealed game, though. (I managed 3 wins, which at least put me past the big 600->1200gem jump, so it couldve been worse, I suppose.)
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”