The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Balloonacorn
Warrior
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:34 am

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Balloonacorn » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Just finished the second season of Rome. Not as good as the first but still worth watching. Anyone know a better historical drama?
Malerion in transition

User avatar
Primarch
Evil Overlord
Posts: 10444
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:33 am
Location: Nagoya
Contact:

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Primarch » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Just finished the second season of Rome. Not as good as the first but still worth watching. Anyone know a better historical drama?
Better? That's pretty subjective. I enjoyed Rome (season 1) a lot, but there are other shows I liked more.
Personally I enjoyed Sharpe, Band of Brothers and Vikings more than Rome, but then again, I'm more interested in those periods than the birth of the Roman Empire.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

Balloonacorn
Warrior
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:34 am

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Balloonacorn » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:23 pm

Primarch wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Better? That's pretty subjective. I enjoyed Rome (season 1) a lot, but there are other shows I liked more.
Personally I enjoyed Sharpe, Band of Brothers and Vikings more than Rome, but then again, I'm more interested in those periods than the birth of the Roman Empire.
Oh, better is definitely subjective. I liked Vikings alot but I don't think it had the acting or the big historical reveals that Rome had. I haven't seen Sharpe but I have had it recommended to me alot. Is it on any of the popular media?
Malerion in transition

User avatar
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Tsu, Mie, Japan

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:24 am

On a more definitely-not-historical note (although it does take place a long time ago...) I’ve been very much enjoying season 7 of Clone Wars recently. Some of the choreography in the latter part of the season is really top drawer stuff, as is the character interaction and facial animation. As an example, there’s a scene where Ahsoka is talking to Anakin, and without anything actually being said, there’s a hella lot of chemistry going on, to the point where my wife even looked up from her book to ask if the two characters “had a thing for each other”. Rather than explain at length about 7 full seasons of character development, shared history, and the existence of Padme Amidala, I merely pointed out that she may have been reading into the nuances of an animated look over an animated shoulder just a tad too much. But still - it’s good storytelling. And of course lots of pew-pew fazoom schwoop. I also noticed that they’ve got Ray Park in to do the mo-cap for a certain well-known Zabrak, and it dang well shows.

Very much looking forward to the last few eps, as well as the next season of the Mandalorian (where I predict certain plot threads may well be picked up. Not that there’s any hint of any Mando in the near future. Just me getting excited, lore junky that I am 😁)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

User avatar
job
Destroyer of Worlds
Posts: 3338
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Kamagaya

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by job » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:07 am

Primarch wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:09 pm
Balloonacorn wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Just finished the second season of Rome. Not as good as the first but still worth watching. Anyone know a better historical drama?
Better? That's pretty subjective. I enjoyed Rome (season 1) a lot, but there are other shows I liked more.
Personally I enjoyed Sharpe, Band of Brothers and Vikings more than Rome, but then again, I'm more interested in those periods than the birth of the Roman Empire.
Amen. I own season 1 of Rome and have rewatched numerous times. They really did an ace job with some of the characters. Season two... well there’s a reason why I think some of the best shows out there never had a sequel (ie. Firefly).

As for other historical shows:
John Adams - I haven’t seen it in its entirety because how expensive it is to obtain, but everything I’ve seen of it is really good.
I, Claudius - old, old BBC TV drama, but it has Derek Jacobi as Claudius, John Hurt as Caligula, Patrick Steward as Sejanus, and Brian Blessed as Augustus. And Robert Graves telling of a fiction history penned by Claudius of the decline of Julio-Claudian dynasty is just awesome pseudo-history.
Horacio Hornblower- If you like Sharpe and you liked Master and Commander, it’s fun swashbuckling in His Majesty’s Navy.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Balloonacorn
Warrior
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:34 am

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:53 pm

job wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:07 am

As for other historical shows:
John Adams - I haven’t seen it in its entirety because how expensive it is to obtain, but everything I’ve seen of it is really good.
I, Claudius - old, old BBC TV drama, but it has Derek Jacobi as Claudius, John Hurt as Caligula, Patrick Steward as Sejanus, and Brian Blessed as Augustus. And Robert Graves telling of a fiction history penned by Claudius of the decline of Julio-Claudian dynasty is just awesome pseudo-history.
Horacio Hornblower- If you like Sharpe and you liked Master and Commander, it’s fun swashbuckling in His Majesty’s Navy.
Great Picks!

I have watched the complete Hornblower series a couple of times including last year on Youtube. Master and Commander is good but I am looking more for series. I remember watching I Claudius 3 or 4 decades ago - it might be time for another look... I am a completely different person now.

Any others like this would be great.

I started watching Westworld - I am in the middle of the third episode and the jury's still out.
Malerion in transition

User avatar
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Tsu, Mie, Japan

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:01 pm

@balloonacorn - obvs ymmv, but fwiw, I'd recommend giving Westworld time. It's a bit of a slow burner, but once it gets going it's really quality TV. Great writing and acting throughout, and definitely worth your while.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

User avatar
Konrad
Wargod
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 6:09 am

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Konrad » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:53 pm
job wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:07 am

As for other historical shows:
John Adams - I haven’t seen it in its entirety because how expensive it is to obtain, but everything I’ve seen of it is really good.
I, Claudius - old, old BBC TV drama, but it has Derek Jacobi as Claudius, John Hurt as Caligula, Patrick Steward as Sejanus, and Brian Blessed as Augustus. And Robert Graves telling of a fiction history penned by Claudius of the decline of Julio-Claudian dynasty is just awesome pseudo-history.
Horacio Hornblower- If you like Sharpe and you liked Master and Commander, it’s fun swashbuckling in His Majesty’s Navy.
Great Picks!

I have watched the complete Hornblower series a couple of times including last year on Youtube. Master and Commander is good but I am looking more for series. I remember watching I Claudius 3 or 4 decades ago - it might be time for another look... I am a completely different person now.

Any others like this would be great.

I started watching Westworld - I am in the middle of the third episode and the jury's still out.
I remember watching "I Claudius" as a kid too. That would be well worth a re-watch, I can only imagine a lot went over my head. And 2nd that "Westworld" recommend. Ist couple seasons are terrific. Suffers a bit at the end, sort of like the Matrix, as the answers given are not as interesting as the questions themselves.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

User avatar
job
Destroyer of Worlds
Posts: 3338
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Kamagaya

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by job » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:38 am

@ Konrad: “the answers given are not as intriguing as the questions asked”. Brilliant! Summarized the way I felt. I really enjoyed the beginning of Season 1. I watched the first episode on iTunes for free and then found myself easily forking over 3.99 an episode to watch one episode after another. Upon reaching the final episode, I found myself oddly disenchanted and haven’t rewatched the show or seen the second season.

I just might have to find a way to see the first episode of Season 2.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

User avatar
Primarch
Evil Overlord
Posts: 10444
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:33 am
Location: Nagoya
Contact:

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Primarch » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:43 am

I'm mid-way through season 3 of Westworld. I'm really enjoying it, though I agree with Konrad's take on it. The acting has been fantastic throughout and the writers have done a great job of adding twists and turns to the stories so that what I expected was not at all what happened. Characters develop nicely throughout, so that you can never be 100% sure if they are going to wind up as the hero or the villain of the piece.
Great TV.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

Post Reply

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”